Italian Parliament Speaker: Work should continue to try the Egyptian accused of Regeni's murder

Italian Parliament Speaker: Work should continue to try the Egyptian accused of Regeni's murder  The President of the Italian Chamber of Deputies, Roberto Fico, stressed that we should continue to work as institutions more than before to reach the trial of the accused in the case of the murder of researcher Giulio Regeni in Cairo in early 2016.  "There are four people under investigation, and we cannot stop," Fico said in a press statement on Tuesday, the day after a court in Rome announced the postponement of the pre-trial session to October 10, 2022, for the failure of the Egyptian Ministry of Justice to notify the accused, "There are four people under investigation, and we cannot stop," referring to Egyptian security officials accused by Prosecution in Rome kidnapping, torture and murder of Regeni.  The judge of the preliminary hearing had issued a similar decision in mid-October of last year, because the prosecution was unable to notify the accused officially of the legal procedures against them in Italy.  Regeni, a graduate student at the University of Cambridge, disappeared in the Egyptian capital in January 2016 and his body was found about a week later and a forensic examination showed that he had been tortured before his death.  Egyptian police and officials have denied any involvement in Regeni's disappearance and murder.  The suspects, who are being tried in absentia in Italy, have never responded publicly to the charges against them.  Italy began the trial of four senior officers in the Egyptian security services over their suspected role in the case, but proceedings were halted in October due to concerns that they may not know about the charges against them.  Source: Italian news agency AKI

The President of the Italian Chamber of Deputies, Roberto Fico, stressed that we should continue to work as institutions more than before to reach the trial of the accused in the case of the murder of researcher Giulio Regeni in Cairo in early 2016.

"There are four people under investigation, and we cannot stop," Fico said in a press statement on Tuesday, the day after a court in Rome announced the postponement of the pre-trial session to October 10, 2022, for the failure of the Egyptian Ministry of Justice to notify the accused, "There are four people under investigation, and we cannot stop," referring to Egyptian security officials accused by Prosecution in Rome kidnapping, torture and murder of Regeni.

The judge of the preliminary hearing had issued a similar decision in mid-October of last year, because the prosecution was unable to notify the accused officially of the legal procedures against them in Italy.

Regeni, a graduate student at the University of Cambridge, disappeared in the Egyptian capital in January 2016 and his body was found about a week later and a forensic examination showed that he had been tortured before his death.

Egyptian police and officials have denied any involvement in Regeni's disappearance and murder.

The suspects, who are being tried in absentia in Italy, have never responded publicly to the charges against them.

Italy began the trial of four senior officers in the Egyptian security services over their suspected role in the case, but proceedings were halted in October due to concerns that they may not know about the charges against them.

Source: Italian news agency AKI
Previous Post Next Post