After the aircraft carrier "Abraham Lincoln" a new scandal rocks the US Navy

After the aircraft carrier "Abraham Lincoln" a new scandal rocks the US Navy

CNN reported that a U.S. Navy destroyer was without usable toilets, galley services, or air conditioning for four days last month due to power system failures.

Seventh Fleet spokesman Matthew Comer said the incident occurred on the guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold while it was conducting routine operations in the Indo-Pacific region on July 24 when an "engineering failure in the power generators" occurred.

Komer explained that, in addition to the loss of autonomous maneuverability, the kitchen, toilets, air conditioning, and drinking water supplies on board the nearly 10,000-ton warship were affected.

The spokesperson added: "There were no injuries among the crew members, who demonstrated resilience, toughness, professionalism and unwavering composure in their response to the situation." According to the spokesperson, the cause of the power outage on the warship is still under investigation.

This incident comes at a time when the US Navy is facing increasing scrutiny following reports of low morale and mental health concerns aboard the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln in the Middle East, after it spent more than 200 days without stopping at any port during operations directed against Iran.

Some experts, as well as many Democratic lawmakers, believe that the U.S. Navy is suffering from a drain on its capabilities and resources due to the demands of confronting Iran and the Navy's global commitments.

The U.S. Navy reported that a second U.S. warship, the guided-missile cruiser USS Robert Smalls, provided cooked meals to the crew of the destroyer USS Benfold during the power outage. According to spokesman Comer, other ships in the USS George Washington carrier strike group, based in Japan, also provided assistance during the four days the Benfold was without power before being towed to Subic Bay in the Philippines for repairs.

The Navy statement said that repairs were completed by August 8, and the ship returned to service as part of the George Washington carrier strike group heading to the Middle East to replace the Lincoln carrier strike group.

1 Comments

Previous Post Next Post