The city of Port Sudan grapples with a cholera epidemic The city of Port Sudan grapples with a cholera epidemic

The city of Port Sudan grapples with a cholera epidemic

The city of Port Sudan grapples with a cholera epidemic

The city of Port Sudan, on Sudan's Red Sea coast, is facing a cholera outbreak, exacerbated by a lack of medical supplies and medicines.

In this university dormitory which hosted students, nearly 1000 people found refuge.

Among the displaced Julia Adam, who lost one of her two daughters a month ago to cholera.

"My children were infected, my two daughters. I took them to the hospital, one of them recovered, but the other was not saved. Her illness was more serious, it It was cholera, and she died a month ago."

Many families share the premises but Julia, who left Khartoum, the capital of Sudan, explains that the cleanliness in the dormitories leaves something to be desired.

"We are really scared and we are working on cleanliness, but not everyone (among the displaced people) is very enthusiastic. There is a lot of dirt behind the house. I can clean in front of my house and make sure that my kids swim. But as you can see, the flies won't go away until the place is clean."

Dr Ahlam Abdullah, director general of the health sector of the Red Sea province at the Ministry of Health, says that 2,237 cases of cholera have been recorded so far and mainly in Sawakin district. 

“Currently, 70% of Sudan's health system is out of service due to wars and destruction of health care facilities. We face a huge task and challenge to provide services to the whole of Sudan. There is a shortage of medicines. We are having a hard time treating people with all illnesses and cases of severe diarrhea. The challenges are many, we are doing what we can and we hope that international organizations will help us further so that we can tackle and control these infections.”

According to UN figures, more than 7 million people have been forced to leave their homes.

The war in Sudan began in mid-April after months of tensions between the military leader, General Abdel-Fattah Burhan, and the commander of the Sudanese security forces, General Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo.


Egyptian official: We are preparing a preliminary proposal for a second truce in Gaza

An official Egyptian source said that his country is preparing a preliminary proposal for a second truce in Gaza, and stressed that once approval is obtained from all parties, an integrated position will crystallize.

An official Egyptian source announced on Tuesday the preparation of a “preliminary proposal” for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, which has been facing an Israeli war since last October 7.

The private Cairo News Channel, quoting the source, said, “What is being discussed regarding an Egyptian proposal for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip is a preliminary proposal,” without details about it.

The source added, "An integrated position will be crystallized after Egypt obtains the approval of all parties."

Egypt and Qatar, along with the United States, are sponsoring efforts to reach a second temporary truce in the Gaza Strip, after the first ended in early December, and resulted in the release of Palestinian prisoners, in exchange for the release of Israeli and foreign detainees held by Hamas, and the entry of limited aid and quantities. Little fuel to the sector.
Previous Post Next Post