Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir published on Wednesday a video documentation of the attack on the activists of the global “Steadfastness Flotilla” after they arrived at the port of Ashdod following their abduction from international waters.
The video documentation shows Ben-Gvir waving the Israeli flag while a number of “Steadfastness Flotilla” activists are being beaten, handcuffed and with their faces to the ground, while the Israeli anthem is broadcast through loudspeakers.
Israeli Transportation Minister Miri Regev also posted a video in which she repeatedly described the activists as “supporters of terrorism” and as being “under the influence of alcohol.”
In another video attributed to Israeli journalist Motti Castiel (Channel 14), several activists are seen kneeling with their hands cuffed behind their backs and their faces toward the ground, while the Israeli national anthem plays in the background. In one of these videos, an international activist shouts in English for the liberation of Palestine, at which point an Israeli policeman grabs her and drags her roughly.
International condemnations
The video sparked a wave of international condemnation, with Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni stating in a post on “X” that the treatment of the “Steadfastness Flotilla” activists by Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir was “unacceptable,” and demanding that Israel issue a formal apology to Rome.
Meloni announced that Italy had summoned the Israeli ambassador to obtain clarifications regarding the scenes of abuse suffered by the flotilla activists, including Italian citizens, stressing that her government would take all necessary steps to ensure the immediate release of the detained Italians participating in the flotilla.
Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Ben-Gvir's behavior towards the activists was "unacceptable," adding that Rome was awaiting a formal apology from Israel.
In the same context, French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot wrote in a post on the “X” platform that he had requested the summoning of the Israeli ambassador to Paris to express his condemnation and obtain clarifications, demanding the immediate release of the French citizens participating in the flotilla, and stressing that Ben-Gvir’s actions towards his passengers, which were condemned even by some members of the Israeli government, were “unacceptable.”
In a video message posted on the “X” platform by Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Alvarez, he said he had seen a “horrific, inhumane and disgusting” video showing “unfair and humiliating” treatment of the flotilla members by the Israeli minister and the police.
Alpars added that among those detained were activists holding Spanish citizenship, describing the incident as “very worrying”.
He continued: “I repeat, this treatment is brutal, shameful, and inhumane,” demanding that Israel issue a “public apology.”
The Spanish minister noted that Madrid had urgently summoned the Israeli chargé d'affaires to inform him of its “complete rejection,” “complete condemnation,” and “deep disgust” at the “horrific and unacceptable treatment.”
He stressed that Spain is working towards the immediate release of all those who were on board the flotilla, noting that it will coordinate with other countries whose nationalities some of the activists hold to discuss possible measures.
Albares pointed out that Benghazi had already been sanctioned by Spain, which banned him from entering its territory. He added, "Soon the same will be applied throughout the European Union."
For his part, German Ambassador to Israel Steffen Seibert said in a post on “X” that he condemns Ben-Gvir’s treatment of the “Steadfastness Flotilla” activists, stating that what happened was “completely unacceptable behavior and incompatible with the fundamental values of our countries.”
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper accused Israel of violating “the most basic standards of respect and dignity with which people should be treated.”
In a blog post published on Wednesday, she said she was shocked when she saw the video in which Ben-Gvir mocked the people on board the Global Resilience Flotilla.
She said that this behavior “violates the most basic standards of respect and dignity with which people should be treated.”
She explained that Britain is in contact with the families of some of its citizens participating in the flotilla, with the aim of providing them with consular support.
Cooper noted that London had requested clarifications from the Israeli authorities in this regard, and affirmed its commitment to protecting the rights of its citizens and all concerned persons.
Belgian Foreign Minister Maxime Priveaux announced on Wednesday that he had summoned the Israeli ambassador over the “deeply worrying” incident.
Prévot confirmed on the X platform that there are “Belgian citizens among those detained. This situation is unacceptable.”
He explained that he decided to summon the Israeli ambassador “to express our displeasure and request clarifications.”
He also stressed that the humanitarian situation in Gaza remains “catastrophic” and requires “full attention from the international community.”
The Adalah Center for Human Rights in Haifa, within the 1948 territories, confirmed that the videos published from the port of Ashdod document systematic Israeli attacks, humiliation, and incitement against Freedom Flotilla activists.
The center said in a statement that “following the illegal interception of the flotilla in international waters, and the illegal abduction of more than 400 activists from around the world, Israel is pursuing a systematic policy of humiliation and abuse against activists and supporters who seek to confront Israel’s ongoing crimes against the Palestinian people and break the illegal siege imposed on the Gaza Strip.”
Adalah spokesman Mutasim Zeidan confirmed to Al-Quds Al-Arabi that these documentations are an extension of what Adalah Center had previously documented regarding similar patterns of mistreatment and violations against participants in previous flotilla missions, without the Israeli authorities facing any accountability.
Zidan added: “Hours ago, a team of lawyers from Adalah, along with a group of volunteers, entered the port facilities. They are currently providing legal counsel to the detainees and will continue working to ensure their rights and demand their immediate and unconditional release. Adalah also called on the international community to take urgent and immediate steps to protect the participants in the flotilla from this brutal and illegal behavior by Israeli officials and authorities.”Sa'ar accuses Ben-Gvir of causing serious damage to Israel.
In the wake of this scandal, Foreign Minister Gideon Sa'ar, speaking from Budapest, launched an attack on Ben-Gvir, saying in a post addressed to him: "You have knowingly caused damage to the state through this shameful display, and this is not the first time. You have also squandered significant efforts, successful professional work accomplished by many – from soldiers to Foreign Ministry employees and many others. Ben-Gvir, you are not the face of Israel."
Gafni has recently intensified such videos documenting his provocations, especially against Palestinians on both sides of the Green Line, with racist and populist political motives related to the approach of the general elections, which prompted MP Ahmad Tibi to call him “Minister Abu Nafkha” while Jewish MPs called him “Minister of TikTok.”
On Tuesday evening, the Israeli Foreign Ministry announced that the abduction of all the “Steadfastness Flotilla” activists had been completed and that they had been transferred to Israeli Navy ships.
According to the “Steadfastness Flotilla,” the Israeli army illegally intervened against all 50 of its boats, which carried 428 activists from 44 countries, including 78 Turks.
Israel’s seizure of the flotilla boats and the abduction of the activists were met with widespread condemnation from various quarters, including Amnesty International, which described the act as “shameful and inhumane.”
Under the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, the principle in international waters is freedom of navigation and the subjection of a ship to the exclusive jurisdiction of the flag state.
According to the Convention, the seizure of a foreign vessel by a state in international waters is considered an “unlawful act,” except in very limited exceptions that do not apply to the “Steadfastness Flotilla.”
Israel has previously seized boats in international waters carrying humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip, which it has been blockading since the summer of 2007, and kidnapped the activists before deciding to deport them to their countries.
Tags:
asiawest
